HIS, MINE & OURS......

....a little glimspe of our lives.



Thursday, November 11, 2010

LOVE LETTERS

.......that crossed the Atlantic Ocean 1947-2009

from Dad's siblings (and parents?).

These letters are a few that were found a year ago when we cleaned out the family farm(it would be safe to say that all the letters were kept from 1947-2009). Letters to and from Holland came religiously for holidays, birthday along with the newsy letter that came in between. When those letters came Dad read them with reverence, soaking in the news of his homeland and family. When dad wrote letters back it was to be QUIET and not to bother him....I do not know how long Dad's letters were but I can close my eyes and see him writing, remembering his script. This stack of letters I can read nothing of 'em as written in the Friesen language but am assured they were written with love.

archive 1963

Today we received word that Uncle Sipke has been moved to hospice care at the age of 94. Our hearts reaches out to our Holland Family. They will be feeling the loss greatly. Uncle Sipke remained in the family home until just a few weeks ago when his health failed him enough that he needs more care....one year ago this month we made that choice for his brother (my dad) knowing how it hurt them to leave home behind but.........

.......so today Uncle Sipke's American family is thinking so much of our Dutch family with love and deep compassion as Uncle Sipke's life ebbs away.

2 comments:

Jenae said...

very special ... I too remember Dad writing and having to be quiet so he could put his American thoughts into the Holland language. Also beside him when he wrote there would be peanuts in the shell and he would snack on them as he wrote.

Kara said...

I found a two of those letters if a Dutch Bible that the kids asked for when we went to the farm back in April. I can't read much of them but it is something so special to hold onto.